Aus Schweden

Ola Ahlström

Re: Aus Schweden

Beitrag von Ola Ahlström »

Did get the third kit from Modellproduktion today. It´s the pvkv m/43 (Pansarvärnskanonvagn or jagtpanzer/tankdestroyer) buildt on the same chassie as strv m/42 (and strv m/74). Between 1946 and 1948 a total of 87 was built and was in service until 1970.

Bild

Bild

Bild

/Ola
Ola Ahlström

My Pbv 302 painted and completed.

Bild

Bild

The predecessor to the Pbv 302 was the Pbv 301. It was originally the strv m/41, a Swedish licence built version of the PzKpfw 38t, built in two versions (SI and SII) 116 + 104 between 1942 and 1943. In 1958 the strv m/42 was out of date and the chassie was used to build 232 Pbv 301, the turrets and guns was reused to defend airfields, ports and shores.

The 301 doesn´t exist in 1/87 scale (yet) so the only way to get it is to use the SDV kit (PzKpfw 38t) and scratchbuilt the rest. There exist an 1/76 scale resin kit and I include some pictures of it to show what I´m hoping our domestic producer will produce in 1/87 scale;

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Please note that the five pictures show the Pbv 301 (former Strv m/41 SII version) in 1/76 scale!

/Ola
Zuletzt geändert von Ola Ahlström am So 18. Mär 2012, 17:41, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Jens O. Mehner
Lovely

Beitrag von Jens O. Mehner »

Hello Ola,

thanks for the update and for showing your Pbv 301 and 302, both very good looking models, even if one is in the wrong scale. ;)

Not only the Pbv 301 would be highly welcome, but also the other vehicles based on the strv/m 41 - incidentally, there are a lot of Swedish vehicles that I could think of that would be very nice to have in 1/87.

Cheers,

Jens O.
Neu bei SMT Plus: BW/EDW/NATO/WP- und US-Kanister in vielen Ausführungen, neue cal. 50 und vieles mehr.

Information not shared is information lost.

1/87er, die feinmotorisch flinke Elite des Modellbaus.
Ola Ahlström

Back to 1/87 scale. Ten years ago I and my brother did enter the IPMS Open Sweden with a diorama where we buildt what did show a Swedish military transport on railway post WW2. Me as a "model-railroader" and my brother into 1/35 scale tanks from WW2 North Africa built it together. I will later show more of the differt items but will start with two pictures to show how we started.

Bild

Bild

More will follow....

/Ola
Norman Buschmann

Beitrag von Norman Buschmann »

Hello Ola

Wow! The military transport sound (an also looks) realy nice. I´m deep interestet in the forthcoming pictures of these scene. HURRY UP!

Nice greatings
Norman
Ola Ahlström

In 1946 Sweden bought surplus US trucks in large numbers. They where used for differnt service but some used to tow 75mm guns. We started to buy some Roco trucks and they only needed to be repainted into Swedish camoflage and get swedish military numberplates.

Bild

Bild

The next two pictures are from my MR-club where they found a new home after IMPS Open

Bild

Bild

Since surplus trucks where bought in batches there where trucks with different hoods used by the same units althou some trucks where rebuilt during their long service which lasted up until the early 1990. During the last years the where in stores waiting for their units to be mobilized. When I joined the navy in mid seventies they where still used by the Coastal artillery towing guns.

Bild

Bild

Next some German trucks, bought during WW2, and used by Sweden

/Ola
Jens O. Mehner
Keep them coming...

Very nice Ola,

quite interesting to see those well-known trucks in a different livery- and to hear that Sweden hung on to the CCKW for so long, which about puts you on a par with France, Israel and Switzerland. ;)

So Desert-Erik is your brother? Maybe you should check his stash and see what could be shrunk to 1/87, I could do with a Rolls-Royce Armoured Car. :D

What colours are you using for Swedish camouflage, the old green one and the modern four-tone? I still have a CV9040 to do and nothing in the Humbrol range has convinced me so far...

Thanks,

Jens O.
Neu bei SMT Plus: BW/EDW/NATO/WP- und US-Kanister in vielen Ausführungen, neue cal. 50 und vieles mehr.

Ola Ahlström

Re: Keep them coming...

Jens O. Mehner hat geschrieben:So Desert-Erik is your brother?

What colours are you using for Swedish camouflage, the old green one and the modern four-tone? I still have a CV9040 to do and nothing in the Humbrol range has convinced me so far...
Well, it´s not me that do all the painting. Most of the credit should go to "Öken-Erik" (or as you write - Desert-Erik, my brother). I did ask him and got the following answer;

Post WW2 (1945-1960)
Tamiya XF-24 Dark Grey (if it´s a pre WW2 vehicle or german built WW2)
Tamiya XF-58 Olive Green
Tamiya XF-52 Flat Earth
Tamiya XF-1 Flat Black

1950/60, pre "new camoflage"
Tamiya XF-58 Olive Green

1990 "new camoflage"
?

Then some additional information on US WW2 surplus. Sweden bought around 1850 surplus vehicles/trucks 1946-50. They where Willys Jeeps, Fargo, Fargo Power Wagons, Dodge, GMC, Brockways .....

Bild

GMC/CCW352 and 353 around 300 which was used as Tgbil m/46L or m/46K (later Ltgbil 936N). Lasted in service until 1980.

Bild

Almost 1000 Dodge was bought and used as Tgbil 1 1/2 t or Tgbil m/46. As bought or rebuilt they where used in a number of missions.

/Ola
Jens O. Mehner
Tack så mycket!

Hello Ola,

thanks to you and Erik for the colour help and for another insight into the Swedish arsenal - I am looking forward to the next installment. ;)

Cheers,

Jens O.

Ola Ahlström

When Sweden declared neutrality in sept 1939 and mobilized it became cleare what the reduction after WW1 had resulted in large problems. Few tanks existed and the army was short of trucks and guns. Allthu we had a domestic industry, among them Bofors, Scania-Vabis and Volvo, Sweden had to try to buy from other countries. Naval ships and aircraft from Italy, guns and trucks from Germany and aircraft from US was some of the weapons that was possible to buy until the domestic production could meet the demand.

Interresting was that we could buy 142 10,5 cm guns from Germany, probably as exhange for iron from Lappland even in 1942. These guns was namned haubits m/39 and was in service until 1982.

Bild

24 delivered in 1939, 8 in 1940 and 110 in 1942

Bild

Three diffrent wheels was used on the guns, two german variants and one Swedish.

To tow these guns 600 Magirus Glöckner trucks was bought from Germany and was in service until late 1970. One shipe was sunk in the Baltic while sailing from Germany but all but 20 trucks vas salveged. Since I wanted som Magirus trucks, tglb m/42M, I bought som post war Magirus trucks from Brekina.

Bild

With this model on my workbench I started to back-date it .....

Bild

and the result turned out like this;

Bild

I started som more but then I found out that ADP had the truck...

Bild

a large number was bought so now I have my artillery unit...

Bild

Some pictures from the diorama;

Bild

Bild

Bild

and two from the club-layout;

Bild

Bild

Next some mobilized trucks...

/Ola

Edit: Two pictures from Thinypic suddenly gone, now replaced.
Zuletzt geändert von Ola Ahlström am Fr 12. Aug 2016, 01:09, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.
Jens O. Mehner
Sweet...

Keep them coming, Ola, I cannot get enough of them and I am sure the others agree. English is difficult for some and we are having Easter break almost everywhere in Germany, so things are a bit slow.

Cheers,

Jens O.

Ola Ahlström

Even with the 600 Klöckner trucks and new trucks from Scania and Volvo the needs for the army wasn´t met. Due to restrictions on pertol sales civilian trucks was out of service somthing that was used by the army. Civilian trucks was mobilized and used during 1939-45 together with military trucks somtimes in the same units. To illustrate this we paintet two Ford trucks (ADP) as mobilized trucks - camoflage and military plates.

But to start with, another picture to compare my Brekina convertion and the ADP truck;

Bild

Then the two Fords;

Bild

Bild

After the war the former civilian trucks were return to their former owners if not allready worn down.

/Ola
Zuletzt geändert von Ola Ahlström am Fr 12. Aug 2016, 01:14, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Ola Ahlström

Jens O. Mehner hat geschrieben:What colours are you using for Swedish camouflage, the old green one and the modern four-tone? I still have a CV9040 to do and nothing in the Humbrol range has convinced me so far...
Jens O.
Did find the following in the magazin Pansar 1/2011;
Mörkgrön 326M (Humbrol 76 / Tamiya XF-26), dunkelgrün
Ljusgrön 322M (Humbrol 120 / Tamiay XF-5), hellgrün
Brun 507M (Humbrol 118 / Tamiya XF-52), braun
Svart 093M (Humbrol 33 / Tamiya XF-69), schwartz

The years before WW2 sweden only possessed a few tanks, less than ten, so when it was decided to establish a tank batalion new tanks was needed. Only 16 domestic built tanks armed with 37mm guns (strv m/38) and 48 tanketts with mashinguns was bought. The tanketts was named strv m/37 and was a version of the CKD-Praga AH-IV tankett.

Bild

Bild

To get a true strv m/37 the kit need some rebuilding and new parts but we took the easy way and built it stright out of the box, only slightly rebuilding the turret.

Bild

To ad some tanks to the diorama we wanted a light tank that could be loaded onto the standard, flatcar, "O". These flatcar could take one light tank each. I did find the PzKpfw 38 (t) made by Paul Heiser to represent the strv m/41 S1, of which 116 was built in sweden.

Bild

Bild

These tanks was later replaced on the diorama by the kit from SDV

Bild

Bild

Using the same chassie as the strv m/41 there was built 16 StormArtilleriVagnar, SAV m/43.

Bild

Credit for this model should go to my friend in Gothenburg, Hans, who built and painted it. It´s the SDV kit (PzKpfw 38t) with self casted parts.

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Altogether 116 strv m/41 SI, 104 strv m/41 SII, 16 SAV m/43 based on chassie SI and 16 SAV m/43 based on chassie SII was built

/Ola
Zuletzt geändert von Ola Ahlström am Fr 6. Apr 2012, 21:41, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Jens O. Mehner

Ola Ahlström hat geschrieben:Did find the following in the magazin Pansar 1/2011;
Mörkgrön 326M (Humbrol 76 / Tamiya XF-26), dunkelgrün
Ljusgrön 322M (Humbrol 120 / Tamiay XF-5), hellgrün
Brun 507M (Humbrol 118 / Tamiya XF-52), braun
Svart 093M (Humbrol 33 / Tamiya XF-69), schwartz

Tack så mycket again, that helps a lot - not that I slavishly copy the recommendations but it helps to have a somewhat standardized strating point.

Ola Ahlström hat geschrieben:The years before WW2 sweden only possessed a few tanks, less than ten, so when it was decided to establish a tank batalion new tanks was needed. Only 16 domestic built tanks armed with 37mm guns (strv m/38) and 48 tanketts with mashinguns was bought. The tanketts was named strv m/37 and was a version of the CKD-Praga AH-IV tankett.

To get a true strv m/37 the kit need some rebuilding and new parts but we took the easy way and built it stright out of the box, only slightly rebuilding the turret.

Oh how nice, I always had a weakness for "pocket panzers", I have the sdv kit, but did not feel like making a Rumanian vehicle, Swedish may be a viable alternative. By the way, have you seen Sven Young's scratchbuilt m/37 on missing links, the latest installment was here: http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/t ... r+complete?

Ola Ahlström hat geschrieben:Using the same chassie as the strv m/41 there was built 16 StormArtilleriVagnar, SAV m/43.

Credit for this model should go to my friend in Gothenburg, Hans, who built and painted it. It´s the SDV kit (PzKpfw 38t) with self casted parts.

Altogether 116 strv m/41 SI, 104 strv m/41 SII, 16 SAV m/43 based on chassie SI and 16 SAV m/43 based on chassie SII was built

Hans did a very great job there and for those SMT members who think the SAV m/43 looks familiar, it was used in "Saving Private Ryan". 8-)

Cheers,

Jens O.

Ola Ahlström

To show you the parts Hans once casted to build the SAV, I took some pictures today;

Bild

Bild

Next I will show some Scania and Volvo trucks. First a Volvo LV6 built for the army in 1929. The kit (brass and white metal) is made by TeknoBygg some 20 years ago but still aviable.

Bild

Bild

Bild

To show you the size I took a picture of it along a Volvo Rundnos.

Bild

Bild

More of the Volvo "Rundnosar" later....

/Ola
Ola Ahlström

Then my two Pvkv m/43 was painted and done;

Bild

Bild

Bild

/Ola
Jens O. Mehner
Hmmm

Looking great, Ola,

very nice models very well built and painted and not another of the usual suspects to boot. ;)

I remember having seen the kit for the Volvo LV6 many years ago but this is the first one I have seen built so far, I imagine you did learn some new swear words while building it? :D

Now do not let us wait for the Rundnosar too long, is there a bit of the Epoke Bedford in there?

Cheers,

Jens O.

Ola Ahlström

Last thursday the former navy battary north of Hälsingborg, built during WW2 and now a museum, had thier anual "open house". We where invited to show military models and the diorama was once again showed (last time was five (?) years ago). This time it was perhaps "too much" since we added all new models;

Bild

Then some close ups;

Bild

Bild

Bild

Of more interrest was the new master from Pansarfabriken, the Lynx armoured car;

Bild

Bild

And final, the strv m/40 a model I realy want, Perhaps a coming model from.....

Bild

/Ola
Jens O. Mehner

Yes Ola,

it does look a little crowded but very well done and I am amazed how many Swedish soldiers are hidden under different names by the manufacturers. ;)

And that Lynx is just mouthwatering...

Thank you very much again and keep them coming

Jens O.

Ola Ahlström

Did get a sample of the new Lynx from Pansarfabriken. I have been told that is not up for sale yet but will soon.

Bild

Of 18 beeing ordered by Denmark in 1939 only three was delivered, the rest was taken over by the Swedish army as Pansarbil (Pbil) m/39. 30 additional cars was built as Pbil m/40 whith no external difference exept that all 45 swedish pbil m/39-40 used a Bofors 20 mm gun while the three danish cars used a 20mm Madsen gun. There where also three 8 mm machineguns. The 45 swedish cars where in service until 1958 when 13 of the Pbil m/39 was sold to Dominican Republic and the rest, exept for one, scrapped.

/Ola
Antworten